Google's "Don't Be Evil" Policy Is Over

Ishpeck

Google's "Don't Be Evil" Policy Is Over

Postby Ishpeck » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:17 am

One of my longest YouTube subscriptions got his channel axed because he shoots at steel plates.

https://youtu.be/09UVlavc-Uk

I'm losing my stomach for Google.
TheDeamon
Site Admin

Re: Google's "Don't Be Evil" Policy Is Over

Postby TheDeamon » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:23 pm

Looks like he sorted it out?

And it was G+ that resulted in the disruptions as it has a different TOS than YouTube, never mind google forced the relationship and had it setup to crosspost as default behavior(something he failed to rectify until the second shutdown, as they hadn't communicated that as being the problem... and the matter of him not using G+ and consequently being unaware of the cross-posting)

So tech fail on his end, Customer Support fail on Google's end, and a few other issues on Google's side of things?
Ishpeck

Postby Ishpeck » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:32 am

TheDeamon wrote:So tech fail on his end, Customer Support fail on Google's end, and a few other issues on Google's side of things?
I wish I ever had the luxury of saying "tech fail on your end" to a customer. Customers always make the most convenient scapegoat.

Complexity is defined as being "braided together." The opposite of "complex" is "simplex" which means "hangs in adjacent to, not touching." Simple software systems are robust and reliable. Complex ones (ones that are tightly interwoven), are brittle and unreliable. Google's systems were once simple and they have grown complex at the users' expense.

Google has failed to make simple software systems. Google has forced them to become tightly coupled systems. They have done so invisibly to the user. What's worse, they added this invisible complexity after years of never having it --- thus breaking the user experience.

This is 0% hickok45's fault, 100% Google's. Even fuckwitted Linus Torvalds knows that you don't break user experience. Period. There is no justification for it. It's fine to add features. It's fine to make it possible to complect two software systems together. But you must never do so by breaking existing workflow!

Google would know this if they were a software company and not a glorified billboard company.

Posted from Google Chrome.
Rotten

Postby Rotten » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:07 pm

Good, this will drive traffic to their competition and they will suffer, period.
Ishpeck

Postby Ishpeck » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:06 pm

Anybody know a good replacement for youtube?
Rotten

Postby Rotten » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:39 am

Ishpeck wrote:Anybody know a good replacement for youtube?
http://beebom.com/2014/02/youtube-alternatives

How good they are I have no idea, but good ideas want to be free, in general.
Ishpeck

Postby Ishpeck » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:33 pm

Yeah, see, when somebody asks for a personal recomendation, it's probably not because they didn't google/yahoo/altavista search. It's probably because they want something you've personally tried and consider acceptable.
Rotten wrote:How good they are I have no idea...
I knew that as soon as I saw a link to an SEO-constructed hell-hole.
Rotten

Postby Rotten » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:52 am

Yeah, see, when somebody asks for a personal recomendation, it's probably not because they didn't google/yahoo/altavista search. It's probably because they want something you've personally tried and consider acceptable.

I'd probably host my own website with my own videos/screeds, were I that guy.
Ishpeck

Postby Ishpeck » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:49 pm

Rotten wrote:I'd probably host my own website with my own videos/screeds, were I that guy.
I'd have already started if it weren't for my hectic schedule. Giving shits about computer stuff in general has appeared to get harder as I've aged.