Gabe Newell Simulator: In Gabe Newell Simulator you can manage Steam releasing and creating new games...

Rotten

Gabe Newell Simulator: In Gabe Newell Simulator you can manage Steam releasing and creating new games...

Post by Rotten »

Gabe Newell Simulator: In Gabe Newell Simulator you can manage Steam releasing and creating new games and also in the story mode you can play as Gaben and help him in his fight against other software house, talk with his employees and decide the fate of Half Life 3!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/407420/

Namrok

Re: Gabe Newell Simulator: In Gabe Newell Simulator you can manage Steam releasing and creating new games...

Post by Namrok »

I was watching a playthrough of this. Guy was clipping outside of the maps, the model had weird geometry glitches where it would collapse in on itself. Apparently it's completely unchanged from what it was in Early Access.

Oh the brave new world Steam has unleashed on us. Early Access was supposed to be A New Hope, and it turned out to be a Phantom Menace.

Ishpeck

Re: Gabe Newell Simulator: In Gabe Newell Simulator you can manage Steam releasing and creating new games...

Post by Ishpeck »

Is "simulator" the new word for things that don't have any substance or goals attached to them?

Namrok

Post by Namrok »

Ishpeck wrote:Is "simulator" the new word for things that don't have any substance or goals attached to them?
"Simulator" is the new word for random Unity assets dropped into a Unity project with the Physics extension turned on.

Ishpeck

Post by Ishpeck »

Namrok wrote:"Simulator" is the new word for random Unity assets dropped into a Unity project with the Physics extension turned on.
I would be surprised if there were much actually related to physics actually going on in this thing.

But that does seem like a decent enough description. Makes more sense than the literal meaning of the word "simulator."

TheDeamon
Site Admin

Post by TheDeamon »

How so?

Sandbox worlds (no goals, from a game design standpoint) have been a thing for simulation games as far back as I've been playing them(mid-late 80's), and probably further back than that.

Ishpeck

Post by Ishpeck »

TheDeamon wrote:Sandbox worlds (no goals, from a game design standpoint) have been a thing for simulation games as far back as I've been playing them(mid-late 80's), and probably further back than that.
Compare http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/ to http://www.goat-simulator.com/

One attempts to emulate all the mechanics of an actual thing in reality. The other is a toy.

I got nothing against the cute, meaningless sandboxes. They're neat.

But they're not simulators.