Can anybody name a good game by Fantasy Flight Games?

Ishpeck

Can anybody name a good game by Fantasy Flight Games?

Post by Ishpeck »

http://www.l5r.com/ makes me wonder. I don't recall having ever seen a good one by FFG.

I'm scared.

Hold me.

Namrok

Re: Can anybody name a good game by Fantasy Flight Games?

Post by Namrok »

Any good game?

Chaos in the Old World is really fucking awesome. And I really dig X-Wing and Armada. I'm a huge fan of Runewars too. I actually really love a lot of their LCGs too. Especially the Warhammer and Star Wars ones.

All that being said, FFG seems like a horrible fit for L5R.

Ishpeck

Post by Ishpeck »

Grorx plays their 40K RPG's. Because of him, I had to look into them.

*Gag*

They're certain to ruin the Roll/keep system.

Grorx

Post by Grorx »

I have played Deathwatch, that is about it. Their newest RPG in the 40k world is the 2nd edition of Dark Heresy I think so that is maybe the system you should look at most closely.

I don't know about any of their other games or game systems.

Namrok

Post by Namrok »

In general, Fantasy Flights approach to games seems to be throw everything at the wall and see what sticks. Release new games as rapidly as possible, generate hype, and maybe get an enduring classic or two every few years. Very few of their designs aren't broken out of the box. And most of their sustained lines start broken, slowly get better, then veer towards broken again as they go. Their internal designers seem to have very little sense of balance, elegance or simplicity. Most of their best titles are actually designed out of house.

What I would expect out of them owning L5R is about 4 or 5 new games over the next few years, and probably one of them will be good, two might be mediocre, and the rest will be garbage that barely holds up to 2 or 3 play sessions. And odds are the games that are actually good won't be ones you'd care about Ishy.