Tablet shopping

Ravil

Tablet shopping

Post by Ravil »

I've come to the slow realization that having a tablet around would probably be a force-multiplier for a lot of the work that I need to do, especially for events where I need a digital portfolio on-hand and where the gaming laptop might be a bit burdensome.

Any recommendations? I have an iPhone 5s, but I'll steer clear of the iPads unless I get really stupid-good recommendations from anyone, which I haven't so far, since my iPhone experience has been sort of mixed and the price is high. I'm thinking that I'll need one to use for showcasing work, and as a lightweight writing-tool in a pinch. If it's a type that has some sort of extension where a small keyboard can be plugged into it, all the better.

GIVE ME YOUR BRAIN-MEAT DROPPINGS, ANTI-CWAL

Rotten

Re: Tablet shopping

Post by Rotten »

Well, everyone I know who has a Surface loves it.

Of course, I have an Ipad... but Apple has annoyed me lately releasing OS that make their older models run like shit. Whether that matters to you or not...

Tablets are ok if you won't be typing a lot (course a Surface comes with a keyboard so there's that) I still use a laptop because I play enough Windows games to need one.

Namrok

Post by Namrok »

Yeah, I've actually heard a lot of good things about the surface too. I know Gabe from Penny Arcade does all his artwork on a Surface and swears by it.

TheDeamon
Site Admin

Post by TheDeamon »

Rotten wrote:Tablets are ok if you won't be typing a lot (course a Surface comes with a keyboard so there's that) I still use a laptop because I play enough Windows games to need one.
This, of course, I'm using a Kindle Fire purely for the ability to have it read bad ((sometimes) fanfiction) to me while I'm driving down the road. At least until I break out my Amazaon Prime "driving" playlist with 340-someodd songs on it for a change of pace.

Ravil

Post by Ravil »

Rotten wrote:Of course, I have an Ipad... but Apple has annoyed me lately releasing OS that make their older models run like shit. Whether that matters to you or not...
It does, and that's why I've been resistant to the idea of getting an iPad. I hate that my iPhone is already significantly shittier in performance than it was twelve months ago. That doesn't seem right to me, or something that I want to throw money at.

I plan to do some typing on it, and my wife may end up using the tablet as a faux-laptop once her current laptop gives up the ghost, so a Surface might be the best idea...

Ishpeck

Post by Ishpeck »

Ravil wrote:I plan to do some typing on it, and my wife may end up using the tablet as a faux-laptop once her current laptop gives up the ghost, so a Surface might be the best idea...

I've never seen a non-surface work with decent keyboards.