Thorkos and I are cautiously optimistic. JoystickJ should be, too...

Ishpeck

Thorkos and I are cautiously optimistic. JoystickJ should be, too...

Post by Ishpeck »

http://descendentstudios.com/

Because this game was rather significant in our formative years.

Ravil

Re: Thorkos and I are cautiously optimistic. JoystickJ should be, too...

Post by Ravil »

I remember all of my friends being enthralled by that game. I was so rubbish at it that I could never make the leap into obsession like I did with others.

Ishpeck

Post by Ishpeck »

I can honestly say that if this game didn't catch me in my teens as it did, I would never have cared. To reflect upon it, I really don't care for most games like it that've since come out. But for what and WHEN it was, there's a latent and indescribable adoration.

thorkos

Post by thorkos »

you aint lived until you've vertical strafe killed someone. Think circle strafing, but uzing the zx plane, not the xy plane.

TheDeamon
Site Admin

Post by TheDeamon »

Just remember the enemy gate is down. Wait, wrong franchise.

Namrok

butt delay JoystickJ piss pee dooky poo

Post by Namrok »

I never got as into Descent as other games. Although I did give Sublevel Zero a spin lately. Still making up my mind about it.

Ishpeck

Re: butt delay JoystickJ piss pee dooky poo

Post by Ishpeck »

Namrok wrote:I never got as into Descent as other games. Although I did give Sublevel Zero a spin lately. Still making up my mind about it.
It really took on its meaning in Descent 2.

One of the important things that they did was have the reactor. It forced players to interact in away similar to the bombs in Camperstrike. Anybody could blow up the reactor and could therefore force players to travel along more predictable lines. This would force players to move a lot and control more of the map.

The dogfighting was unique. Unlike any other FPS or space ship thing you're going to see. With all the directions you could maneuver through, most of the game consisted of trying to get into a blind spot or trying to force your enemy into one of your gimmick weapon traps.

But this only works if the following are true:
1. Proximity mines aren't planted on all the damned spawn points (they always are if they're available in the level)
2. Earthshaker Missiles don't happen
3. Invulnerability doesn't exist

Those two things kinda obviated the vast majority of the game right there.

There was slight cheese factor in the Energy-to-Shield converter and the smart missile, too, but not nearly as much. The Phoenix cannon had the potential to be wrongsauce depending on the level.

I think Descent 2 would be _fantastic_ if you had really coherent level design and one or two changes to the engine's business logic:
1. Players who spawn at a ridiculous kill disadvantage start with a Megamissile that doesn't drop when killed and that goes away when your arsenal gets sufficiently awesome
2. Players spawn with 200 shields that drops to 100 after three second transpire if above 100.
3. Afterburner's recharge rate is maybe a little slower

Ishpeck

Post by Ishpeck »

Oh, shit. I forgot about the Helix Cannon. That thing was also wrong.